GNU Emacs 22 Released

June 3rd, 2007 by Rob Christie · 9 Comments

Emacs 22 was officially released yesterday.

Emacs version 22 includes GTK+ toolkit support, enhanced mouse support, a new keyboard macro system, improved Unicode support, and drag-and-drop operation on X, plus many new modes and packages including a graphical user interface to GDB, Python mode, the mathematical tool Calc, the remote file editing system Tramp, and more.

You can get it here.

Tags: news

• 1 piyo // Jun 3, 2007 at 1:11 pm

Happy happy, joy joy!
    Hopefully this will start more discussion of Emacs 22 features on this blog.

• 2 Alex Ott // Jun 3, 2007 at 4:56 pm

Yes, this is long-awaiting release.
    I hope, that in near future, release schedules will shorter, and emacs get packaging system that will provide support for many packages, without including them in core distribution

• 3 reptile // Jun 5, 2007 at 2:27 am

The new release has built-in support for Python, which is good. But there’s no Comment Out Region and Uncomment Region, at least not on the Python menu. These 2 are the commands I use a lot. Anybody know how to use them in emacs v22?

I used to use one of the python-mode packages (http://sourceforge.net/projects/python-mode) on emacs v21. They have these two menu items.

• 4 Ryan McGeary // Jun 5, 2007 at 11:45 am

reptile, M-x comment-region and M-x uncomment-region will do what you desire, but you’ll probably want to bind those to hotkeys. Note: A C-u prefix to comment-region also uncomments (i.e. C-u M-x comment-region).

• 5 sean // Jun 7, 2007 at 1:57 pm

reptile, Ryan: note that if you use transient-mark-mode, `comment-dwim’ may be a nicer solution.

• 6 Ryan McGeary // Jun 7, 2007 at 6:11 pm

Sean, Good tip. comment-dwim is bound to M-; too. Very nice; this was new to me, but I’ve already decided to use this to replace my old custom key bindings to comment-region.

• 7 Rob Christie // Jun 7, 2007 at 7:19 pm

Sean – very good tip. I have C-c C-c ingrained in my memory since I use it so often in the jde-mode. Thanks.

• 8 Charles Blair // Dec 10, 2008 at 9:41 pm

I just installed debian “lenny” which includes emacs 22. There doesn’t seem
    to be an info file for emacs. control-H-i just leads me to an FAQ. Two things
    I would especially like to know about are commands for calc and using
    rectangles in registers.