How I Work: Working with OS X and Emacs

January 4th, 2011 by Ryan McGeary · 8 Comments

Watch the Video

I was featured this week on a new site called How I Work (now defunct). The site is about letting developers watch screencasts to see how other people work and improve their productivity by learning about new tools and practices. Given the interest in how focused work in an all inclusive environment can help productivity, they contacted me about putting up a workbench on how I use Emacs and how it fits into my overall OS X workflow.

Please check it out and vote up my video so other people learn about me, McGeary Consulting Group, and our favorite editor.

Tags: misc

• 1 How I Work: Working with OS X and Emacs // Jan 4, 2011 at 11:10 pm

[...] improve their productivity by learning about new tools and practices. Given the interest in how… [full post] Ryan McGeary M-x all-things-emacs misc 0 0 0 0 0 [...]

• 2 Ruben Berenguel // Jan 5, 2011 at 7:11 am

Brilliant! I only missed (but it’s not your fault, of course) a sample of AucTeX with preview. It usually has the “ooh!” effect in any friend I have who does any LaTeX typing. I work in a mostly “vi” department, only two people use emacs and only two other people use something which is not vi or emacs, so I try to evangelise a little from time to time.

I’m curious (as a fellow Mac user), what did you use to record the screencast?

Cheers,

Ruben
    In my blog: Emacs 30 Day Challenge: Get the latest version of gnus to improve speed

• 3 Oscar // Jan 5, 2011 at 8:12 am

Nice screencast! Just a tip – in Emacs 23, you can start (and insert a counter, which is very handy) a macro with F3, and finish it/run it with F4. Run with C-u 0 F4 it will keep running until a serious error occurs, which is also handy.

• 4 Ryan McGeary // Jan 5, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Ruben, Thanks! I agree, there is an “ooh!” effect of demoing AucTeX. I just don’t use LaTeX that much, and I’m afraid to demo AucTeX; the setup to get everything working isn’t always trivial. I used Camtasia for Mac to record. I started by using ScreenFlow but had to switch midstream. I like the UI of ScreenFlow better, but it’s buggy as all hell, and it wasted a lot of my time. Camtasia did crash once, but it always worked as I expected it to, and I didn’t lose anything.

Oscar, Yes, I actually use the F3 and F4 keys for macros; however, I just ran into an issue with a combination of my screen recording software, the software that displayed my keystrokes, and Emacs. Some of my function keys were taken away on a global level, and I couldn’t use them in Emacs during the screencast recording. I probably should have worked around it by remapping the keys in those other programs, but it didn’t occur to me at the time.

• 5 Josh Carty // Feb 23, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Loved the screencast! Just wondering what hotkey do you map LaunchBar to, to avoid conflict with emacs?

Thanks,

Josh

• 6 Ryan McGeary // Feb 23, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Thanks Josh. I use command-space for LaunchBar. I remap Spotlight to option-command-space.

• 7 Damian ONeill // Aug 12, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Problem with video?

• 8 MPU // Aug 27, 2013 at 7:46 am

The macro doesn’t function with emac 23 and Joomla 3. Are there any reasons known?